RULES FOR THE 2020 NORMAN GALAXY OF WRITERS’ ANNUAL CONTEST — Deadline 10/10/2020
Dues-paying Galaxy members are invited to enter our annual contest. Enter as many categories as you wish, but only one entry per category. Please read the rules carefully to ensure your manuscript(s) will meet all the submission requirements.
Nonfiction Feature Article: 1,500 words maximum
Adult Short Story (fiction): 2,000 words maximum
Rhymed Poetry: Any length
Unrhymed Poetry: Any length
Nostalgic Essay (personal): 1,500 words maximum
Children’s Fiction (for readers 8-12 years of age): 1,000 words maximum
Adult Flash Fiction: 500 words maximum
Novel: first pages with a synopsis to a maximum of 15 pages
1. In order to enter, you must be a member of the Norman Galaxy of Writers and have paid dues ($25) for the current year. Dues may be paid in person to the treasurer by check or money order made payable to the Norman Galaxy of Writers at P. O. Box 5581, Norman, OK 73070. Please include your name, address, email, and phone number with your payment.
2. Manuscripts must be entered by electronic submission.
a. Send your digital entry as an attachment to the Contest Chair (email@example.com) on or before the deadline, October 10, 2020.
b. Electronic entries must be sent in the form of doc (any version), PDF, or RTF.
c. Send a separate email for each entry.
d. The subject line should include the word "contest" and the name of the category. Example: Contest/Nostalgic Essay.
e. A cover sheet, downloaded from http://www.normangalaxyofwriters.com, must accompany every entry. Send it as a second attachment with your entry to the Contest Chair.
3. Each entry requires a $2.00 nonrefundable processing fee. For example, if a member enters five categories, s/he would send a check for $10.00 and a copy of each cover sheet for the five entries to the Norman Galaxy of Writers at P. O. Box 5581, Norman, OK 73070. It must be received by the contest deadline, so don’t wait until the last minute. Cover sheets are available to be downloaded from the Galaxy website at http://www.normangalaxyofwriters.com.
4. All entries must be unpublished or unaccepted for publication at the time of submission. Any manuscript entered must be your own original work.
Contest Rules, Norman Galaxy of Writers, page 2
5. You may enter each category once. No manuscript may be entered in more than one category. Manuscripts that have previously won a monetary award (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or Crème de la Crème) may not be entered again in any Galaxy contest.
a. All entries must be double spaced, except for poetry and the novel synopses.
b. Fonts must follow the industry standard, which is 12-point and either Times New Roman or Courier.
c. Margins should be one inch on all sides.
d. In the top right corner of each page, enter the category, title, word count, and page number. Example: Flash Fiction / Laughter / 498 words / p. 1.
e. On the first page of the manuscript, the title should be centered 1/3 to ½ of the way down the page. If the entry is a poem, the title and poem should be centered on the page.
7. The author’s name MUST NOT appear on any page of the manuscript, or in the subject line of the digital entry.
8. Romance is okay, but entries may not include sexual content or graphic violence. In the event the Contest Chair receives a questionable entry, he will make a determination in concert with the club’s president as to whether the guideline has been broken.
· Judges will be selected by the Contest Chair based on each judge’s experience in the genre and their willingness to write critiques. Judges’ decisions are final. There must be a minimum of three entries in a category before it will be judged and prizes awarded. If not, in that specific case, the entry fee will be returned for lack of a category.
· Awards will be presented at the annual December awards luncheon, December 12, 2020.
· Certificates and cash prizes will be awarded in each category: first place, $15; second place, $10; third place, $5. Certificates will be given to honorable mentions. The Bonnie Speer Crème de la Crème Award ($30) will be awarded to the best of the first place winners. Judges’ comments will be returned to the entrants digitally following the announcement of awards.
GALAXY CONTEST CATEGORIES
1. Nonfiction Feature Article: This is a factual manuscript on any topic of general interest that might appear in a newsstand magazine, not a fictional or opinion piece. 1,500 words maximum.
2. Short Story (fiction for adults): The story revolves around a protagonist with a goal or a problem to solve. The five key elements are character, setting, conflict, plot, and resolution. It is similar to a novel, only shorter. 2,000 words maximum.
3. Rhymed Poetry: Poems use figurative language, sound, and rhythm to tell a story, or to evoke imagination or an emotion. A single line is called a verse. Verses grouped together make a stanza. Any length.
4. Unrhymed Poetry: Unrhymed poems use the effects of rhythm and sound to create a story, mood, or emotion. Contains one or more stanzas. Any length.
5. Nostalgic Essay (personal): This is a first-person narrative that focuses on one of the author’s real life experiences. 1,500 words maximum.
6. Children’s Fiction (for readers 8-12 years of age): This is a short story focusing on a child protagonist having a goal or a problem that s/he works to solve with or without a sidekick. It has character, setting, conflict, plot, and resolution. 1,000 words maximum.
7. Flash Fiction (for adults): This is a short, short story that includes characters, setting, conflict, plot, and resolution. 500 words maximum.
8. Novel: Novels are long-form works of fiction. An interesting point-of-view character with a strong plot, conflict, and a satisfying conclusion are expected. Manuscripts from a wide variety of genres (including, but not limited to, sci-fi, romance, historical, mystery, horror, mainstream, etc.) will be accepted. Submit the first consecutive pages with a synopsis, for a total not to exceed fifteen pages. The synopsis can be single spaced, but the manuscript pages must be double spaced.
NORMAN GALAXY OF WRITERS
2020 MANDATORY CONTEST ENTRY COVER SHEET
TITLE OF MANUSCRIPT _______________________________________________________
WORD COUNT _______________________________________________________________
NAME OF AUTHOR ___________________________________________________________
EMAIL ADDRESS _____________________________________________________________